Wales is quite rightly known to punch above it’s weight when it comes to the aviation industry with world leaders British Airways Maintenance Cardiff, Airbus at Broughton and GE Aviation at Nantgarw to the fore.
We fully understand that inbound tourism will be held back if new services are not introduced, we have a wonderful country but currently the lack of air services is making it difficult for tourists to visit Wales.
Airlines will only come to airports like Cardiff if they are convinced that the market will be sufficient to make their routes viable and at present most airlines are not convinced, but if all interested parties including the Welsh Government, South Wales hoteliers, CBI Wales and tourist organisations work as a team then one large voice can be created. It is our intention to encourage this team to work together to create a team Wales and we hopefully play a vital role.
Wales Air Forum was created in August 2011 and is a voluntary group with no funds or sources of income. We are a constructive not a destructive voice to encourage an air transport system that serves the population of the principality.
What have we achieved so far?
- Attended all Thirsty Thursday Cardiff events hosted by Travel Daily UK (Invitation Only).
- Attended reception at the Senedd marking the start of Vueling’s Cardiff to Barcelona service (Invitation Only).
- Attended a meeting with MP for Vale of Glamorgan Alun Cairns
- Attended Ty Hywel on several occasions to discuss issues with numerous Assembly Members.
- Attended the Aerospace Breakfast at St Athan hosted by Wales Business Insider (Invitation Only)
- Take part in several radio broadcasting interviews and debates on Welsh aviation.
- Regular contact with Cardiff Airport management team.
- Have met with management team of several airlines.
- Over 115,000 views on our news website.
- Over 850 followers on twitter.
- Become a respected aviation group supporting Welsh aviation.
What we do and offer?
- We have been proactive in contacting airlines and with a little more work positive results should be forthcoming.
- We offer a discussion forum for members to discuss the issues that are impacting Welsh aviation.
- We have built a one stop resource facility to help airport users, which will continue to grow as relevant information or advice becomes available.
- For members who have a greater interest in the aviation industry we will provide monthly statistics on passenger figures from Cardiff Airport and aviation news on a daily basis. A discussion forum has also been created where you can discuss certain aviation topics.
- The Wales Air Forum will look at arranging trips to airports and airshows where members will be invited to attend and get to know each other.
- Our intention is to be a constructive and not a destructive voice for the Welsh aviation industry.
- To promote and assist the aviation sector in Wales.
- To push for Wales to be known for our input into aviation.
- To be a facilitator to add destinations to Welsh airports through co-operation with our airports, airlines and the Welsh Government.
- To assist all relevant parties to encourage growth in the industry to provide a future for the next generation.
- Help to increase inbound tourism into Wales.
- To assist the public in understanding the difficulties facing the aviation industry in Wales.